Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sick Children at School ?

This is my first parenting tip for all those new parents who aren't sure what to do, and who ever else would like to learn something new. Today I get a call saying that Tyler has a cough and he doesn't feel good. Now, I just dropped him off an hour prior and he was fine to me, so I have little flags going off in my head. When I show up he is running around and having fun and I give him a cough drop for his fake cough and go home.
Later in the afternoon I get a call that he isn't feeling good and has a headache. I was already there so I am thinking to myself "Fake" but I talk and tell him If he comes home he will not watch any television, no movies, but If he's sick he needs to lay down. Well Tyler finishes off his day of school like a big boy, but UNFORTUNATELY he really isn't good and lays down for the better part of the afternoon.
My parenting tip are as followed; 1. Don't tell your kid that they are lying or that you don't believe them, maybe they really are not feeling well. Be prepared to listen, but don't let them take you for a ride with a story either. 2. Know what is going on in the child's schedule that day. Maybe they have a big test and are trying to find an excuse not to be there, or there is a bully that has been picking on them. 3. Tell them what will happen if they do come home from school sick. Most kids think this will be great and they can watch cartoons and play with toys, but if they find out they won't be able to do anything but lay down, most children who are faking will want no part of this and decide school and friends are a better choice.
There are many other ways to handle this situation. Some ways work great with kids and some not so well. I am no expert by any means and have a lot to learn, but to me the best way is to listen and be patient, but don't let yourself be taken for a ride.